Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Boys comments

The boys have written up their thoughts on their travels to America. You can read what they have to say about their adventure. (I have not edited their letters - it is all their own work)


MURRAY:

The trip to America was fun and very different to zim. Skiing at Bristle Mountain was one of the really fun experiences. It was hard at first but after about two hours I could go down the slopes. At the end of the day I had gotten pretty good at it and the day after we went again. After that day I thought that I could do the harder slopes so the third day I went down a red slope. At first I thought I was going to die. Then after a few goes on the red, I moved onto the black. Pretty hard but I lived.
Another highlight was six flags America, a theme park. I first tried THE WILD ONE, a roller coaster. It was a small one but it was scarier that I thought it would be but it was so much fun. I then did a stupid thing. THE SUPERMAN RIDE OF STEAL. It was so high that it took about one and a half minutes to get to the top. That’s high! It was the highest one at the park. You go almost vertical and you ride down that for about five seconds, sounds short but it took a life time. Scary, but fun. Then there was THE ROAR. I would rate it about 8.5 out of 10. There were too many bumps. Then..... THE TOWER OF DOOM! Scary, scary, scary.... but fun. You go to a height where you can see the whole park and more and then they just drop you! Free fall. You can’t even scream it’s so scary.

Going to a base ball stadium and watching a game was a really fun experience and one in a life time. Seeing NYC at night was a beautiful sight and also seeing the place where 9 11 happened. The world trade center and the empire state building are the highest buildings in America. The statue of liberty is smaller than I expected but still beautiful. America was a once in a life time holiday!


DUNCAN:

When my family and I went to America, I thought it would be a bit different than it was because some parts were like South Africa, for example the shops seemed the same. When we went to six flags (theme park) I went on the tower of doom, it takes you up then it just dropped me it was really fun. We went to Canada and we met friends that we haven’t seen for a while, it was quite fun.

  I didn’t enjoy Boston that much, it was to big. New York was very dirty and there was a lot of pollution. When we went to Rochester we met some nice friends that my mom had met over the internet, called the Millers.

I wouldn’t like to live there because there is no place like home. When we went to ski on Bristol Mountain, I thought it would be harder than it was. In the beginning, I could not get how you turn but after a while I could do it. We went on all the ski slopes and all of my family fell a few times. America was fun!

LUKE:

 One of the best parts of my trip was meeting and making new friends. Like the Millers who lived just outside of Rochester, were nice people. The rollercoaster’s at a six flag theme park were also fun and also the travelling part of our trip. The skiing at Bristol Mountain was very fun as well except for the second last day which on the last slope, which was a double black diamond, (the hardest kind of slope), I fell and bruised my knee and wasn’t able to ski any more so I missed a day.

I enjoyed Boston and all its history, especially that only a few original Boston buildings are still standing because all the buildings were made of wood and Boston had so many fires in those days and almost all of them were burnt down. Washington DC and New York City were also fun except New York was too crowded. Washington was also quite crowded although not as much as New York. When we were in Washington we saw the White House, the Lincon memorial and the Washington monument.   

 My brothers and I went to a baseball game with my dad’s friend who lived just outside of New York and that was an amazing experience. I think our whole trip to America was fun, exiting and new and I already miss all my new friends that I made.  


MANDI:

America was all that I hoped it would be and more! It was an amazing experince and I really feel that, as a family, we learnt a great deal about life and people, we came away inspired and had a once in a life time experience that will be treasured for all our days. We will hold many memories, especially memories of the special people whom we met and the friendships we made.

One of the treasures of having our children at home, is that we can experience life with them, without having a restrictive time limit. We can provide them with opportunities to experience life and other cultures under our guidance and discipleship. Phil and I can teach them about life from a biblical perspective, helping them to accept different ways or cultures of other people, accepting that other cultures "DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY," having an understanding that we are all individuals, created by God, having different gifts and talents but God has the same purpose for all of us. And that is to give Him the glory in everything that we do! This is not always easy to live out as we so often fail (we all fall short) but through God`s grace, we persevere and try to live out His principles in our lives as best we can, trying to bless people along the way.

So, as we settle back into African life, we thank God for an amazing adventure, for protecting us along the way, for providing places to stay and new friends to meet, for inspiring us to pursue the things of God, for reminding us that life is about blessing others and for his constant love, care and guidance in our lives.           


PHIL:

We drove 20,000 km, on the wrong side of the road from the wrong side of the car and I didn`t even kill anyone (or not that I know of) with "Tom" giving me instructions, even through Manhatten, N.Y city, downtown Torronto and the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania! I was really pleased that I didnt have Mandi giving me directions from a map! The closest we got to dying was on the roller coaster! 
What I enjoyed most about America, were the friendly people and going to a baseball game. We all had a great time!





No comments:

Post a Comment