Precept Ministry was established in 1970 and is operating in 165 different countries today.
To establish people in God`s word
People living as exemplary followers of Jesus Christ
- studying the word inductively
- viewing the world Biblically
- making disciples intentionally
- serving the church faithfully in the power of the Holy Spirit
DISCOVER the Inductive Bible study method and transform the way you study the Bible.
GO DEEPER WITH OTHERS through small group inductive Bible study living as the body of Christ.
DISCIPLE toward spiritual maturity and multiplication using the inductive Bible study method as the tool to know God and his word.
WHAT IS INDUCTIVE BIBLE STUDY? http://www.precept.org/about_inductive_bible_study
This is when you study the Bible in depth, using the Bible as your primary source to study the Bible verse by verse, chapter by chapter, book by book. This is what it means to study the Bible inductively, learning truth for yourself, step by step.
You discover Truth Himself by using these three skills:
Observing the text, looking closely at key words will help you to slow down and pay more careful attention to individual words used. This includes skills like marking words, making lists and asking questions using the 5 W`s and an H (who, why, what, when, where and how)
Careful observation will help you to discover what the text means in its context. Paying attention to repeated key words will help with interpretation and avoiding taking scripture out of context. The more accurate your observations is, the greater your understanding of God`s word.
Applying what you learn from what you have studied. It is no good just studying the word without thinking seroiusly about what you have learnt regarding what you can practically apply in your own life and for future change in your life.
Ephesians 1:15-23 "God the Father, Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit, get to know Him and grow in Knowing Him."
Here is a PDF on How it all works!
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO REALLY KNOW THE WORD OF GOD?
- so that you will really know who God is, his character and understand His ways
- so that you will stand firm in the truth and not be decieved or led astray
- so that you can give an answer for the hope that you have
- so that you can grow as a Christian to bear fruit that will last and extend the kingdom for the glory of God
How do I begin an inductive Bible study?
You can either study on your own, join a Bible study group or join an on-line Bible study group if you are not able to get to a Bible study.
So, there is no excuse!
1.Decide if you will study on your own, join a Bible study or an on-line Bible study. If you would like to join an online ladies bible study click this link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TruthHimself/
2. Choose material:
- take a look at www.precept.org as to how to choose the right material
- If you would like something light to start, I would suggest the 40 minute Bible studies. They are topical and easy to follow. You can also use these for family study time together or study together with your teens but I would suggest studying along with them and not just giving them the book to do. We need to come alongside our children when we study God`s word.
- if you would like an indepth Bible study, then you would choose the precept upon precept studies
- there are also Bible studies written just for ladies - Sweeter than chocolate (Ps 119 and Heb 11) and Mindset (Romans 8)
- Studies for Teen weekends include the TRANSFORM series (In the Last days - 2Peter, Resolve - Daniel, Dirty Jobs, Problem with evil - Job)
- Studies for little children include the Discover for Yourself series.
3. Order material from:
www.precept.org.za (for South Africa)
http://www.precept.org/international_overview (select your country)
If you would prefer not to mark in your Bible, you can download the chapter/book from the internet, save to a word document and then change it according to exactly how you like it (font, size, spacing).
You can use the following links:
http://www.biblestudytools.com/site-map/ (download your preferred version)
http://www.blueletterbible.org/ (for word studies, commentaries, Hebrew/Greek meanings)
If you would like to become more involved or go to a Leader workshop or other workshops, check the website for your country. If you would like to get more involved in Zimbabwe, please drop me a line in the comments box.
If you have any questions regarding what to study or about Inductive Bible studies, please drop me a line.
Psalm 119:102 "I have not departed from your laws for you yourself have taught me."